Lockdown has been really depressing for most of the people as people have nothing to do at their home. Everyone is finding ways to divert their minds. In my opinion, music is the best medicine to relax yourself during lockdown. Music is something that provides peace to your mind and soul. Here we have some of the top singers of jammu who didn’t fail to provide extraordinary content to their fans. The most amazing thing about all of them is that they have been continuously putting up efforts to promote the dogri language. So, here is the list of top young singers of jammu who have been promoting dogri through singing.
Kusha Sharma & Chinmei Sharma
Kusha Sharma and Chinmei Sharma are prominent singers of Jammu. They have been singing since childhood from the age of 6 years. This duo has created it’s name in the field of folk music. They belong to a musical family as father Sh. Gianeshwar Sharma is a great poet of the region and a music lover as well. They have got their teachings of classical music from various gurus. From the very beginning, they had started learning classical music. They have performed in major platforms of Jammu and other states as well. Dr. Chinmei Sharma professionally opted music whereas Kusha Sharma has done her Msc in Chemistry. This awesome duo creates a magical impact on it’s listeners wherever they perform.
If we talk about their contribution towards dogri music during lockdown, they have performed in many online platforms and their performance was a great success. Their performance on Big Cafe Online, Dogri Folk Series organized by 92.7 Big fm was loved by enormous number of people. They also performed on the Facebook page of International Dogra Society and many more such pages.
- A grade artists of All India Radio in the category of Dogri Folk Music.
- Participated and won many state and national level competitions like display your talent, youth festival and many more.
- Performed in many events by Sangeet Natak Academy.
- Dr. Chinmei Sharma is a gold medalist in M.A Music.
- Represented Dogri Folk Music at Rajkot, Ahemdabad, in Aakashvani Sangeet Sammelann.
Sonali Dogra is a very renowned singer in J&K and other states as well. If we talk about her journey, it started from her school days at the very young age of 10. She has 10 years experience in live singing, studio recordings including Radio, Tv and Movies. This passionate girl possesses a very powerful and electrifying voice. She sets the stage on fire whenever she performs. Being able to sing in different languages like Kashmiri, Punjabi, Haryanvi, Rajasthani, Bhadarwahi, Kishtwari, Gojri and Dogri of course, she has proved herself as a versatile singer. Not only in India, but she has made her name in many foreign countries like Australia, Japan, and Canada.
Sonali has been setting a benchmark for all the singers to continue singing even in this situation of crises. One of her songs related to corona was liked very much by the audience and got viral. The song was sung in dogri only. She has been putting up all her efforts to promote the dogra culture in any way possible through social media.
- Winner of Voice Of Punjab Season 6.
- Top contestant in many singing reality shows like Indian idol, Voice Of India and many more.
- Felicitated by Indian Ambassy, honourable leuitenant governor, Member of canadian parliament and many more dignatories.
- Brand ambassador of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao and Swachch Bharat Abhiyan.
- Winner of many competitions like Choona Hai Aasman, Duggar Sangeet, All India Devotional Song Competition.
Sars Bharti is an approved folk singer, dancer and actor in the song and drama division Jammu. This young girl from jammu has 5 years of experience in theatre at state and national levels, working experience in short films, local films and tv serials as well. She has an experience of live dogri singing from the very beginning as her father Romalo Ram is a very renowned personality in the field of dogri folk music. She has an expertise in singing dogri folk geet, baakh, geetru, suhaag, kodiyan, fumaniya, masade, karaka, kud, haran and many more other items that are not performed by any stage till now.
Sars Bharti has been continuously providing her viewers with good stuff to listen during this lockdown. She has uploaded many dogri songs on her social media platforms to entertain people in the pandemic situation. Many of her songs got viral like “Restore 4g”. She has an outstanding hold over folk music and regularly updating content that also provides social messages to the people of jammu.
- Participated in many National, International and state level events and also received awards.
- Also worked for tv, radio and social media.
- Got felicitated in World Culture Festival, International Seminar, International Youth Convention and many more.
- Won many of the competitions related to singing, dancing and acting.
- Did portfolio of Amazon Prime at fusion fitness club.
Vanshika Jaral, an A grade artist of All India Radio, is a classical trained singer who is emerging really amazingly in the field of music. She has been singing from past 11 years and counting. Her interest towards Dogri Folk Music is remarkable. Although, she Belongs from a non musical background but still her voice is pitch perfect. Whenever performed in school/college level competitions, she has always stood first. She has begun singing in Radio and J&K Academy of Art, Culture, and Languages from a very small age only. Her soft and mesmerizing voice is a blissful experience to senses.
Vanshika never stops working, no matter what condition comes. Even in this lockdown, she has presented so beautiful dogri songs to her followers that kept them stunned. One of the highest reaching posts of hers during lockdown is the Dogri version of Ramayan song. This was a totally unexpected version of Ramayan song that hit straight to every listener’s heart. That dogri version became viral on twitter, Facebook, instagram and many more social media platforms. And that’s how she maintained to promote dogri culture through her singing during lockdown.
- Approved A grade Artist of All India Radio in the category of Dogri Folk Music.
- Winner of Katra Festival – All India Devotional Song Competition (2015).
- Performed in various state and national level platforms/ contests such as Aao Pehchan Banaye, Pa Ma Ga Re Sa, Yuv-o-tsav, CU Fest, and National Youth Festival.
- Winner of various music competitions like Sangeet Milon, Display Your Talent, Singing Star Of Duggar and many more.
- Scholarship holder under Ministry Of culture Scholarship To Young Artists.
Varsha Jamwal, at the age of 4, started her musical journey by singing in school prayers. She was bold and confident from the very beginning only. She didn’t realise she could actually sing untill given a chance by the school principal to take part in singing competition. She stood first and realised that she can actually make her career through music. First performance was done at the age of 5, in front of lakhs of people. She made her name through Jagrans. She has been through many ups and downs in this field, but always stood up even better than before. Although criticized by many people, but never gave up.
In this duration of lockdown, she also did her best to promote the dogri language through her singing. One of the major problems in Jammu is 4g internet. Through one of her dogri songs, she portrayed the problems that youth is suffering due to 2g internet during lockdown. This song was liked by a lot of people.
- Winner of Duggar Sangeet Ratan
- 2nd runner up of Katra Festival
- Winner of Choona Hai Aasman
- Finalist of Aawaz Punjab di
Roohi Singh and Juhi Singh
This terrific duo of siblings Juhi and RJ Roohi has set the atmosphere on fire. They have made the best out of this lockdown and promoted dogri language through their singing. Since childhood, they have been in a musical friendly atmosphere as their father Mr. Suraj Singh is a legendary artist and inspiration for many singers. Both siblings have learnt music from their father. It’s all because of their father’s efforts, they are able to achieve such fame, says the duo.
They both have been quiet busy due to studies and job as Roohi is a Radio Jockey at 92.7 big fm. But, they got so lucky in this lockdown after they took an initiative to connect people of our culture by singing dogri mash up and folk songs. They got viral not only in Jammu but many parts of the world. Articles and Journals of their songs were published in big news papers and websites.